The picture above is of my great great grandparents, John and Mary Stacey, and probably their 4 youngest children.
Their youngest son George was born in 1882 so that would date this photograph mid to late 1880s.
I will start my thoughts with John and Mary who are the maternal branch of my family.

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Elizabeth II Coronation 1953

Not a photo of my ancestors today.  This is one taken at a street party for the Queen's Coronation in 1953.  This was a party held in Birch Avenue in Romiley where my grandparents Samuel and Sarah Cox lived.  

On the front row are my cousin Valerie and I posing with spoons of jelly in our mouths and the little tot to the right of me, kneeling on the chair, is my brother Brian. 

No other family members on the photo and most of the children were grandchildren of the people living in the street.  Most of my grandparents neighbours were quite elderly.


3 comments:

  1. Lovely photo Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photo reminds me so much of my own experience of the coronation party. It was also in my grandma and grandad's road - very similar to the road in this picture. All the children wore fancy dress and I was a daffodil for some reason. We were also given OXO paper crowns to wear. They must have been a nationally distributed freebie, because I saw children wearing them at a party on an old newsreel on the television last week! I can remember wanting to keep my daffodil head-dress on, but in the photo I am wearing an OXO crown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous Edwina, we had neither fancy dress nor hats!

    ReplyDelete