The picture above is of my great great grandparents, John and Mary Stacey, and probably their 4 youngest children.
Their youngest son George was born in 1882 so that would date this photograph mid to late 1880s.
I will start my thoughts with John and Mary who are the maternal branch of my family.

Friday 7 February 2014

Family Bibles.

After my mother Kathleen Lilian died in 2011, I became custodian of the family Bibles as my brother did not want them.  There is no big family Bible with births,marriages and death recorded in it but still interesting to see the names of family members recorded in them. This gives me a bit more information about my ancestors.   I will post them on separate posts.

The first one was presented to my grandfather Herbert Tirrell at Christmas 1909 when he was attending Rivelin Tunnel Sunday School.  Herbert was born on 13th April 1894 so was 15 when he received this Bible. The name Tirrell was wrongly spelled on here but that spelling was a common alterntive. 


Herbert's father, Joseph Tirrell was a navvy working on the railways and traveled all over the country, with his family, digging railway tunnels.  I think that Joseph might have been digging the Rivelin Tunnel at this time.  It is not a railway tunnel but it was built to divert the water from the River Derwent into the Rivelin reservoir.  I think the Sunday school might have been built for the labourer's children to attend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment