The picture above is of my great great grandparents, John and Mary Stacey, and probably their 4 youngest children.
Their youngest son George was born in 1882 so that would date this photograph mid to late 1880s.
I will start my thoughts with John and Mary who are the maternal branch of my family.

Sunday 11 March 2012

Family resemblance

Today I am posting two photographs.  One of my mother Kathleen Tirrell, as she was then, in her uniform during World War II and one of her second cousin Ruby Gwendolin Madge Tirrell which must also have been taken in the 1940s.  I think they are second cousins and it is taken me quite a while to work out the relationship.  I think they share great great grandparents, Thomas Tirrell (1834 - 1908) and his wife Eliza Toseland (1840 - 1909) who lived in Orlingbury, Northamptonshire.

Kathleen, born in 1922, was the granddaughter of their son Joseph.  Ruby (born 1922) was the granddaughter of their son Walter.  Ruby was born in the USA as her parents emigrated there in the early 20th century.  Kathleen and Ruby never met and I doubt they ever even heard of each other.  The photo of Ruby was sent to me by her granddaughter who I met on the internet whilst researching my family history.

I think there is a remarkable likeness between them.  Not only features but they both have the thick curly hair of my grandfather Herbert William Tirrell.

Kathleen Lilian Tirrell

Ruby Gwendolin Madge Tirrell


1 comment:

  1. Yes they are alike. You've given me an idea for a blog Sheila!

    ReplyDelete