The picture above is of my great great grandparents, John and Mary Stacey, and probably their 4 youngest children.
Their youngest son George was born in 1882 so that would date this photograph mid to late 1880s.
I will start my thoughts with John and Mary who are the maternal branch of my family.

Tuesday 18 January 2022

 Continuing with my Butler ancestry

Chapter 2 

Rather than travel backwards through the Butler lineage I will start as far back as I know.

 The earliest Butlers I have found were Edward Butler and his wife Martha Jackson. According to parish records, they were married at the Parish Church in Hooton Roberts in Yorkshire on 17th June 1734. Edward was a shoemaker and Martha was a spinster both of    the parish of Hooton Roberts.

The parish records also recorded the baptisms of 9 children of Edward and Martha between 1735 and 1753, the last one, a daughter called Hannah, was sadly recorded in the burial register for the same year of her birth. I don’t know if the others all reached adulthood though. Families of that size were the norm at that time as also were infant deaths.

I do not know when Edward and Martha were born, but both their burials were recorded in Hooton Roberts, Edward on 1st February 1763 and Martha’s 3 years later on 12th May 1766.

Their 8th child, a boy named Charles, was baptised on 1st August 1750 in Hooton Roberts. He is the next generation on my family tree. He married Jane Roebuck on 31st December 1778 at St James’ Church in the nearby village of Ravenfield. Jane was born in Ravenfield and was one of the four children of William Roebuck and his wife Mary Barber.

Charles and Jane had 16 children, the first two were born in Ravenfield but the rest were born in Thrybergh which is another nearby village. It is difficult to imagine having so many children and thinking of names for them all. Their youngest child, Dinah was born in 1806. I have found death records for 3 of their children who died in infancy. One of these was Charlotte who died in 1792. They used her name for another daughter who was born in 1801, maybe in memory of her and not, I hope, because they have run out of names they liked. Charles and Jane both died in 1824. They were buried at St Leonard’s Church in Thrybergh, Charles in February and Jane in June.


St Leonard’s Church in Thrybergh, 



No comments:

Post a Comment